Monday, November 19, 2012

Grand

/grand/
Magnificent. Splendid. Wonderful. Fascinating.

Grandparents really do add the grand feeling to parenting. My grandparents played such an important role in my life, I couldn't begin to imagine things differently.

Earlier this month we visited Joe's grandfather in the nursing home and as I watched them interact I was so overwhelmed by how much he loves him, which then drummed up feelings of how much I love mine.

I remember that feeling as a small girl, visiting my great grandmother in the nursing home and it wasn't grand. The opposite, really. I'm so grateful none of my grandparents are in that place now. I know it's hard on them but it nearly killed me to hear him ask over and over again to go home. A prideful man, who worked hard his entire life to provide for his family - begging to just go home.

This week, as Thanksgiving approaches I'm going to make sure to give thanks for my grandparents. I feel so fortunate to have so many fantastic years with them and even more appreciative of the fact that Ella & Will can too.

No comments:

Post a Comment